Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I love UO8's and Sportses, but I can't lump them in the same category. Not even close.
As stock these are very different bicycles...

The UO8 is a touring / road bike and is much lighter, not quite as stiff, and has quirky French parts instead of quirky Raleigh threaded parts.

The Sports was made to be run for 100 years, is tough as nails (and made from the same carbon steel), and is very utilitarian and upright... it does however share the same geometry and steel as the Raleigh Grand Prix which runs on road wheels.

My converted Sports and UO8 have similar configurations in that they are both road bikes with nice alloy wheels and alloy parts and are pretty close to the same weight with the UO8 having a slight edge there... the gearing range is also very similar as the 3 speed does what the 6 speed does in much bigger steps.

The UO8 is faster and shares the same nice ride quality while the Sports is stiffer and a little quicker in the handling department... when the UO8 gets 12 speeds it will be a no contest in the speed and climbing department as it will simply have a better gear range.

But I love em both.