View Single Post
Old 02-27-14, 01:06 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
+1 on the sharp Voyager. That blue must look great out in full sunlight. Nice upgrade to the shifters as well. Btw, I notice the front rack is mounted to the rear eyelets. Was this the only way to make the rack level? Do you still have enough clearance to mount a front pannier at the hooks on the bottom of the rack?
''Thank you!!

The Blackburn racks that mount to the dropout braze ons all mount to that lower eyelet. Even top of the line touring bikes may not have 2 eyelets per dropout, and there's always a lower braze on. I also got a couple of NOS Vetta front racks- the spacers to clear the fork leg are a part of the included hardware.

I have mounted (or have attempted to mount) rear panniers to the front rack on my 620. The rears are a bit big- the hooks rest goofy on the rail, but I'd say a smaller pannier would be fine. I've just used Pannier Hooks for the panniers and handlebar bags with the elastic straps. I really have the front rack for the Acorn bag- I'll take pix of the bike with that.

The paint is interesting. I'm so used to Trek's Imron, and compared to that- this paint is crazy fragile. I've also been trying to decide whether I want to outline the lugs. This bike is a little later than what I associate lined lugs to be with, but the dark blue just INVITES gold lining.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.