View Single Post
Old 03-24-22, 12:27 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
So the big event, LRM1300, came and I DNF'd.

Things were going fine at first, with a bit of a moderate climb shortly after the start, followed by some rolling countryside roads afterwards. I brought a bunch of energy gels and food with me on the bike, the plan being to minimize stopped time and just eat on the bike. Weather was fine in the morning, but started getting hot once the sun had risen. By the time I reached the first checkpoint at 127km, I noticed I could not eat much at all.

The route to the second checkpoint wasn't easy. Rolling roads under hot sun, ending with a significant 20km climb up Fraser's Hill, the checkpoint at the top at around 800m high. At the base of the hill I was already not feeling that great, running on an empty stomach. I stopped at a nearby shop to have a can of Coke and took a short nap. Woke up feeling better, so I thought I'd take a shot at the hill and see how I felt once I reached CP2.

Halfway up my stomach had enough and forced me to throw up. I had nothing to throw up, so it was mostly stomach fluid, I guess. At that point I decided I'm probably done, but I still had to get to the checkpoint, then decide what to do next.

The remaining 10km was a slow and frustrating slog, but I eventually reached the checkpoint and was done. Almost felt like throwing up again, but didn't. So just over 200km but already over 2100m of elevation gain... such a hilly route. It was also a strategic decision to end the ride because the second day would be an even tougher route, going up an even taller mountain with brutal rolling roads afterwards. Not a good prospect, considering how badly I fared at this point.

Three others also stopped here, so I shared a ride with them to get back home. Gave my wife and kids a surprise when I got home so early, lol.

In all, pretty disappointing that I haven't fared well in anything over 1000km. I think in the long run, I really need to sort out my stomach issues in hot weather, as this sort of problem isn't going to go away on its own. I'm pretty sure it's heat-related - the last BRM400 that I had ridden was done under heavy monsoon rain, practically no direct sunlight for the entire 26+ hours, just cold and wet all the way, and I was able to take complete meals. Both lunch and dinner. Full portion. But in other rides, as soon as the temperature goes up, I'm relying on liquids to keep me going. Ugh.

Anyways - this is the route. The first 600km is pretty tough all round... then smooth going afterwards until the last bit at the end.
High heat and high humidity are a difficult combination and food/fuel/water get tricky.

I did 55-60 mile ride around Penang on my Bike Friday in brutal heat humidity, starting at the Shangrala in Batu beach and then going counter clockwise around the island with a few side trips to the little beach towns, I thought I was dead by the time I got to Georgetown. The only three things that sort of work for me in that environment. 1. Be skinny 2) Keep the pace way down 3) Go really lean on food and heavier on water.