View Single Post
Old 04-06-22, 08:01 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Anyone who believes restricting carbohydrates is in any way a suitable diet for endurance athletics is bonkers.

If your gut bacteria are such that you do not tolerate certain carbs well (processed ones for example) then I can see why keto will help, as it will obviously restrict these carbs that harm you and thus you will feel better. But I dare say you can still eat other forms of carbs and get that effect. But that's something different. And we are still only learning about the impact of gut bacteria on diet and health.

On the other hand what we certainly know is how energy is created in our cells. And you won't be able to output significant energy over significant duration if you run out of sugars.
yes I can't eat carbs of any type as they really cause a lot of health issues. now that I control them well and ride a lot my energy levels have risen. but at best I could average 200 watts on my 8 mile commute. but it has dropped and now I do 135 on a decent day. I have more ride endurance then anything else. I can do 220 miles a week every week if my wife can ride the tandem. if the calorie calculation is ride I tend to burn 250 calories or more per 10 miles. I can climb 1 to to block hills at 400 or so watts. it sucks but its what it is and I have gotten it down. But I dont think my body uses fat for fuel much either and that may be causing issues. it seems protein is my main energy source. I am never in ketosis even if I have eaten less then 10 grams of carbs a day (mostly from some nuts and fiber)
Likes For fooferdoggie: