View Single Post
Old 05-17-20, 02:09 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
For those of you not interested in balanced wheels, I suggest you not balance your wheels so you can remain happy in your unbalanced-ness. My original post was not, "tell me if you think this is worth doing"... I don't care if you do or don't. My questions are for those people who have done it and are interested in the topic. A balanced wheel won't change my life, I know that, but I enjoy wrenching on my bike and am a believer in marginal gains.

One thing I am going to do is buy some 44mm valve stems to replace the 70mm valve stems that came with my wheel's tubeless kit. Valve stems are cheap and I have no idea why Bontrager thought I'd need 1 mile long valve stems on my relatively shallow rims. Granted, shorter stems won't balance the wheels, but they'll get the wheels closer to being balanced and shed a tiny bit of unnecessary weight that's far away from the center of the wheel (increasing centripetal force).

I'm going to give these carbon valve stems a try (yup... carbon valve stems?!?!) They're half the weight of aluminum valve stems of the same length and the same price as brand-name aftermarket aluminum stems...

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 05-17-20 at 02:46 PM.
Likes For PoorInRichfield: