Old 02-25-21, 07:11 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No, it doesn't. Age and fitness really have nothing to do with it.

The whole 20 minute test was NEVER about 20 minutes anyway; it was about a 5 minute blow out effort and THEN 20 minutes max and THEN using the .95 multiplier which provided an estimate that may or may not be particularly relevant to any particular person.

The 20 minute test needs to go far, far away. It really has little to do with anything other than what you can do for 20 minutes.
I agree hour power is not the same as 20 min, but found it not super far off for thse that were fit and actually went an hour - such as up. We can find data on riders with PMs.
The poster known as Fuggly did 373W in a 21 min Kings Via Huddart V.2 | Strava Ride Segment in Woodside, CA and 367W (pos 31) for an hour in segment Palomar Mt South Grade (Taco shop to Summit Stop Sign) | Strava Ride Segment in Pauma Valley, California. I expect he had the same PM and bike as these were near the same date. To me, that is not far off. I expect he was going as hard as he budgeted at the time.

My kid typically does not use a PM when he want's to go real hard. Junior in pos 5 the segment above with the three guys ahead of him with PMs all held 400W+ for shy of an hour. Cookie guy is the same reported weight. Junior has a calculated FTP of 260W. So I don't really give all that much credit to calculations.