Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Yes.

I know it isn't a popular opinion amongst the TT geeks, but I think it would be a better sport if they did away with TT bikes. A hell of a lot more folks would do TTs I'd think.
I've never done a TT that didn't have a Merckx division. I totally understand the sentiment of making it simpler or more pure. Totally.

But at the level of not even wanting to attempt it due to not having a TT bike, you're a $25 set of clip ons from being over 85% the way to the aero gains of a TT bike. So every time I hear somebody local to me say that stuff I tell them they can borrow my old clip ons for FREE for however long they need.

I could argue that people owning $400 Scotty Cameron putters and $500 bazooka golf drivers keep me from playing golf too.

Each sport chooses the tech limits they see fit. With road bikes and TT we've already seen in road racing mass start at least the ban on the IAB. That came out of trying to make the road bike faster with what you've got. Same thing Merckx riders would do in a TT. My argument there is the clip ons and TT bike are safer than some stuff folks may try on a road bike to go faster.

If you make it so everybody has to as a rule ride the road bike on the darn hoods the same exact way............why even have a contest? Just have a trainer contest on gross power output at that point. You've gotta allow some ways for competitors to differentiate themselves in a contest that is a solo race against a clock.