Old 06-19-22, 01:39 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You could be okay, but that’s not a certainty. It all depends on what happens between now and then. And it’s not just a question of snow on the roadway. Avalanche danger is a major concern. A couple of years ago some cyclists went up later in the day and became trapped for hours after an avalanche behind them blocked the road so they could not get back down until the road was cleared. Avalanche danger increases as the day goes on because the sun loosens up things.

But the park does try to get the road open as soon a possible because it’s a major economic driver for the area.

The Marias Pass alternative is nowhere near as interesting. The GF and I rode from St. Mary all the way to Sprague Creek Campground in one day so that we would have time to ride at least some of the west slope of GTS. It was a 100 mile day. Fortunately, GTS opened all the way the next day so we got to ride up to Logan Pass and back down after hanging out for an hour at the closure point until they opened the road completely.
Marias Pass is totally not scenic, but its a reasonable ride.
Used to do a 2.5 day loop, drive from Calgary to St. Mary's, ride to a private campground near Marias Pass (can't remember its name), Have a beer at the bar in West Glacier, then ride up the road to the hiker biker campground at Lake McDonald.
Rise at dawn and ride the west side before the road closure starts. Be down in St. Mary's by early afternoon and drive home.
I haven't done it for 20 years, but Logan Pass is one of my favourite rides.

I hope the road opens soon and people have the opportunity to ride it.