Old 03-19-22, 01:06 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by glenfong

back
The jerseys we used also came from Kucharik! Also made of nylon/rayon synthetic, no pockets. We used to tuck the jerseys into our shorts. Bicycle Center & Bernie Foxal! He would always be whistling whenever we stopped by his shop on Chester & 8th. I had heard he moved from another location downtown. Maybe it was too close to his former empoyer, Vincent's Cyclery. I always wanted to get a Raleigh Professional after seeing his on display on the back wall. Your pictures look like our training rides on Round Mtn Road, and the Bena Road towards Caliente & Bear Mountain. I noticed a guy with a Montrose jersey in the last photo of the album. You must have known Charlie Morton & his son Harry?
front
It is so cool hearing your story. I never knew the Wheelmen kept rolling later. I moved to Fresno in 1969 for college, then to LA in 1972. Yes, Charlie Morton was our curmudgeon/mentor/coach. He was quite a character, and so much fun to hang with. We never met Harry, but knew of him and tried to follow his racing in Europe. I hung the Legnano on the garage wall until I turned 50 in 2000. I rode a little bit in between but not seriously. I've done two Eroica rides on it since then, and ride with a Pasadena vintage group when I can, Retrovelo. Are you still in Bakersfield? My brother, who used to ride with the Wheelmen too, still lives there.

You mentioned Raleigh. I've built two Raleigh Super Course, '73 and '78 the last few years. Not fancy bikes but really nice to ride. The top photo, 1973 Super Course frame, stripped of paint, then interim build, and finally custom dark green paint and new decals. The gold '78 Raleigh was a $20 Craigslist project, original paint and decals. Both use Suntour drivetrain and bar end shifters, Campy/Mavic wheels, Shimano freewheels.

Not my photo, but a friend sent me this of Charlie Morton working at Vincent's. I love this photo.
Likes For Slightspeed: