Old 02-09-21, 04:25 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The only way I would run something like this is if I was dedicated to taking it apart on a regular schedule. That doesn't seem to be happening, so the answer is it's not safe. It does make me feel better if it's only threaded way up top.

I'm all for meeting people's physical needs. Is there a reason why your arms can't be lower? Can you show us a picture of the entire bike?
Why is it worse than a regular quill stem though? If there aren't threads there.

​​​​The only difference I can see is that the part of the steerer with the wedge in it is more free to bend around. But that should mean it's harder for the wedge to chowder out the inside of the steerer because it will bend rather than allow relative motion.

Having such a long unsupported steerer (however the stem is attached) is unusual but they're often 1.3mm or so seamless cromoly which is stronger than the average seatpost. We have those sticking out by miles these days while we bounce around on them with all our weight. OP will also have less weight on the bar as he's quite likely set it so high in order to take weight off his hands.
​​​​​​