View Single Post
Old 06-25-21, 03:50 PM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
53cm Conti with complete Galli groupset

Here’s a wonderful example of detailed and meticulous Italian craftsmanship at its best: the Conti Designer 84 (probably early 90s). The history of this bike and its rarity are so cool that they add a little wow-factor to the already superb build quality of the frame and groupset. All the small details and engravings make me think that this was a top of the line bike.

Groupset: Galli Criterium.
Size: 53 cm downtube center-to-center.
Material: Columbus steel with some kind of Colnago-style tubing and chromed fork, seatstay and chainstay.
Downtube shifters: Mavic SSC (Simplex SLJ)
Saddle: San Marco Concor Supercorsa
Stem and handlebar: 3ttt
Tubular tires: Vittoria Competition Rally 21 28’’
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra PD-6620

A bit of history: from what I understand, Conti was the “local” version of Ciöcc meant for the Italian market. These bikes are thus extremely rare. Both were made in the same factory owned by the Bonati brothers (that also made Concorde bikes), often by the same employees using the same or similar parts. Galli was another Italian company that thought of themselves as the true competitors to Campagnolo. They favored simplicity, lightness and traditional mechanics that were easy to service. Working on this bike is a charm because setting things correctly is so easy.

As you’ll see from the pictures, the bike is in “rider’s” condition. It has a lot of scuffs and signs of use. No rust to be found though. The BB is practically NOS and period correct to the rest of the groupset. I got it from nesteel (thanks John!).

Brakes are a little hard to press and probably need new springs or more oil.

Asking XXX$US + shipping [not for sale anymore]. (Could sell for less if you don't need the pedals/saddle.)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Mushrooom; 05-07-22 at 09:23 AM. Reason: I decided to keep this bike after all.
Likes For Mushrooom: