View Single Post
Old 08-19-22, 10:52 AM
Mhiniker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
If not already using clipless pedal/cleat systems or straps, then do something to a fix your feet to the pedals so you can push/pull on both sides in order to increase energy transfer into the crank. At the same time, any maybe it is obvious, you can push your shoulder back into the seatrest in order to use the pedals as more of a stepper while climbing, despite you cannot stand up to pedal on a recumbent. Both those actions help with energy transfer into the bike, but the behind that you have to be able to sustain the additional energy output, so a bit of training as mentioned above. I am not that ambitious so I use the described method of heading in fast and shifting down periodically to maintain cadence at whatever energy level I feel like giving on a particular day.
I like how you've answered & described it. I do not yet, but have been meaning to go track down a pair of cleats for my pedals. Though an American standard 14 men's shoe size is going to be difficult to find the right cleat for, it seems to be the top end of the few that carry it. Would love to hear if somebody has experience in that range? Just got a new chain & rear derailleur, just have to get smarter about keeping it in the right gear for the hill I'm on. With the Arm Amputation and loss of balance from motorcycle accident, I use all of my seat/backrest & even headrest, especially when I pushback trying to put in a little more effort for the hills!

Last edited by Mhiniker; 08-19-22 at 12:10 PM.