Old 12-26-19, 10:30 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Seriously. In my experience, 99% of mechanicals are flat tires, the rest are things a multi-tool can't fix- frayed cable, broken saddle bolt. Yes, I carry one; but I've never used it.
I carry a Topeak Mini-9 on my road bike, and a Topeak 18+ on my hybrid / commuter bike.

On my road bike the Mini-9 has mostly been useful when dialing in adjustments to the FD limit screws and seat height. But once I get those set, I don't tend to make changes. So yes, the Mini-9 gets very infrequent use.

On my hybrid the only times I've used the mini tool have been, again for adjusting seat height, setting limit screws, and for tightening the rear rack. But all these are things I could do within a quarter mile of my garage.

There have been entire seasons that I leave the mini tool home. And then I start getting this irrational fear that I'm going to break down 30 miles from home and not be able to do anything about it. My wife is an unreliable rescue service, so I over-prepare a little.

It's a different story if I'm using my bike for weekend getaway transportation. When I was single I used to drive from Portland to Anacortes WA, ride my bike onto the ferry, and use the bike all weekend on San Juan Island, living on my boat in Friday Harbor. For that sort of thing carrying a mini tool was a lot more useful.