View Single Post
Old 05-18-20, 11:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by flippyspants
Just trying to identify a bike I bought recently. It has been badly repainted, but I can see that it has the serial number 4L30480 at the front top of the steerer tube.

I found some celeste paint in the inside of the BB and rear mech hangar. I was told it was from the late 80's but having whiled away far too much time on the web (and thanks to this great forum) I think I'm a bit closer to working out what it is. The main thing that had me stumped was that it has no pump peg and only one bottle mount, although it has a full 105 groupo, all dating from 87-89.

So then I stumbled on some earlier bikes and saw that up to '85, the pump was mounted along the seat tube, so 1 bottle and no peg. The seat stays are plain where they meet the top lug.

The last thing is that the seat post is 26.2, and looks original. I have ridden it and I was blown away by how comfortable and smooth over bumps it is.
Welcome to the forums. Based on the serial number's format, it's location and the seat post diameter, it sounds like you may have a 1975 Rekord 74 frameset with the Calibrati 1-20 tubeset. Do your lugs and fork crown look like the attached?

ched?