View Single Post
Old 10-19-20, 01:58 PM
walterb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Your square badge and mine

[QUOTE=Jackweed;21478249]I picked up an absolutely pristine Bianchi Nuovo Racing off of CL a while back. It looks like it may have been ridden a couple of times max. The original tires show zero wear and the rims, seat, tape are not worn at all. I'm not a Bianchi guy... this is actually my first one. In doing online research I cannot find the exact bike, can anyone tell me about this square head badge? and the bike in general? Thanks! (the stem is very high. this is as I purchased it)

Greetings from Montreal, Canada. I am the original owner of an early 1980s Bianchi that carries the same square badge. I've tried attaching photos but am told I'm not allowed as a new member. So a description will have to do for now.

I, too, am having a hard time identifying the model of my Bianchi. Believe it or not, I think I still have the sales receipt, but it will take some time to dig it out of the attic. I believe I purchased the bike in 1982. The serial number begins with 2, and I read elsewhere that the first number represents the model year. So the theory seems to fit in my case, for whatever that is worth.

Looking at your photos, your top tube seems to have some writing on it. Does it say Record? At least that gives you the model. Mine says nothing at all. Also, there is no Columbus sticker on my bike - just "Piaggio" at the top of the vertical Bianchi sticker, like yours. I assumed this meant it's a Piaggio frame (if there is such a thing), but that's probably not right given that you have both stickers on yours.

My bike came with the same hand pump as yours (I no longer have it) and a hodge-podge of components: Campagnolo derailleurs and pedals (no model indicated), Miche crank, Gipiemme hubs, Ofmega quick releases, and Modolo brakes (since swapped out for Modolo aero model. I believe the original rims were Ambrosio; I now have Records.

Hope to have more information when / if I find the receipt. I remember paying around CAN$400. I was 17 or so. But it was a hand-written bill and not very detailed, if I remember correctly. There might not even be the model name on there. But at least I will have the exact date of purchase. For the record: the store has since closed. It was called El Pedalo and located in the Ville St-Pierre neighbourhood of Montreal. I remember driving across town in my parents' Ford Pinto (!) to pick it up.

If anyone has any input on any of this, I look forward to reading it. And BTW, I cannot believe how well this bike still rides. I will try re-attaching the photos when this forum permits.

Stay safe, all.