Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
After about 7 months riding I had my first accident. I figured eventually it would probably happen but hoped it wouldn’t!

So I was riding last Sunday and it was super windy but I wanted to ride anyhow. I was riding my normal route through South Torrance/Palos Verdes/Redondo Beach. After going along Esplanade (parallels the beach) I get down to the pier and turn around coming back along Catalina where I usually relax and sit up, hands off the bars and drink some water before dropping back down to Esplanade. Wind was at my back and I’m thinking everything is good. A #^*+! cross wind hits me out of no where, sending me sideways and as I tried to grab the bars to save myself, bam, I am on the street.

Bloody knee, hip and shoulder, nothing broken besides my pride, pissed off so I throw my water bottle at the curb and let out some choice words. Bars were a little crooked and the chain was off and one of my previously perfect Universal brake levers which made it nearly 50 years with nothing more than a few scratches was badly scratched up. Brushed off the grit, put the chain back on and rode home with blood running down my shin.

I had it in my head that if/when I crashed at this age it was going to really suck but other than a sore collarbone and a couple uncomfortable nights sleep it really wasn’t that bad and the scabs are already nearly gone.

Lesson learned, don’t ride hands free when the winds are 15/20mph like they are right now. I do wish it wasn’t so windy here but I’m not moving just because it’s always windy here.

That some good road rash what doesn’t kills ya makes ya stronger. Almost got blown off my bike out in the west Texas mountains Big Bend NP. Turned around back to camp and listen to football on satellite radio. And a few beers... Next day winds subsided continued bicycle adventures.
Likes For Hondo Gravel: