Old 03-26-21, 05:46 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
... the feed is basic Apple computer quality or via the web.
The LG V60ThinQ (Android phone) has a "Quad DAC" and while it based for not being a true quad, it is very very good. I also get over 100Mbps tethering with it.
The DAC makes a huge difference. The Sony X777ES SACD, CD sound better than many higher bitrate recordings. I don't have one - yet. Blew me away when I heard it.

Originally Posted by Hermes
In my younger days, I had some direct to disc recordings that were really nice.
I know Direct to Disc is not the same as DSD and other digital but it is another hole to go down. CD is 16bit/44.1kHz I have many 1 bit 256/512 DSD files that eat up my disc space. I can't hear the difference - except in my head. Most of us can tell a CD vs a 24bit/96kHz super but, like anything, it is fun to play around.
What I have noticed if you can get a track in DSD it was likely well recorded. It will be pretty good in CD and better after that.

A lot of the guys just like vinyl even though they were most likely pressed by a digital master. You can still buy all analog recordings, but they are very expensive. I'm not shelling out $5K for the turn tables to support them.
Frankly, while I hear differences, I often don't know what I prefer. There are good recordings and bad ones. Get a good recording - it just sounds great and different through a whole bunch of setups.
This one track is in DSD 64, 128, 256 and 512 (100X CD size) is stupid and requires too much computer resources or I go spend more big bucks for something I can't hear.
My DSD single track is 1.8GB vs 18MB for a FLAC (lossless) CD

My hearing is also not what it used to be, but I learned to recognize things. Most music does not need 25 year old ears. Things I could not pick out 2 years ago I can now. My old roommate has terrible hearing now, but he can hear the difference in a SS vs a Tube amp.

I know there are crickets in this track. If you don't tell someone they are there, they generally will not notice. My kids didn't notice. Tell them, and many can hear (you need semi good equipment and using a better player helps). I can barely here them here, but I know they are there.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Play on this...with some clean cables and amp and you can start identifying the species (really - their are cricket chirping pages).

Last edited by Doge; 03-26-21 at 06:52 PM.