Old 06-08-21, 03:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmcd
I went to the Amtrak station this morning to figure out some details. From Seattle they have bike hooks but from Portland I will need to box my bike and de-train in Whitehorse so I will need to bicycle from Whitehorse to W. Glacier. Thanks for the route tip.

Earlier this morning I was thinking about skipping Sandpoint and doing an out and back to Eureka from Whitehorse and then return home. After your notes I am leaning towards Amtrak Whitehorse to Libby then bicycle to Sandpoint. Do you remember any camping spots between Libby and Sandpoint? Any opinions on the ride from Sandpoint to Spokane or should I just Amtrak home from Sandpoint?
USFS Dorr Skeels Campground in on MT 56, maybe 12 miles from the junction of US 2. Small, but right on the lake. The site closest to the day use picnic area is great. A couple of miles along is USFS Bad Medicine, about 2 miles off MT 56. In the trees close to the lake, and you can set up camp and ride up to the Ross Creek Cedars area. Very nice nature walk through a growth of trees, some of which are hundreds of years old. There is also a private campground at the junction of MT 56 and MT 200.

Bring supplies from Libby. There is a store/bakery near the private campground that makes sandwiches, but I don’t think it’s open late.

If you want to meander, head east on MT 200 for about 8 miles and cross the river to the small town of Noxon. Camping in the city park with water and a vault toilet. $10. Check in at the small but adequate grocery store open until 5 pm. The bar stays open later. Great little town, and the park is right by the river and has covered picnic shelters.

Dorr Skeels:

Ross Creek Cedars:

Noxon:

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-08-21 at 03:54 PM.