View Single Post
Old 06-09-21, 09:21 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
@krakhaus I didn't buy it truly until very recently. 23/25mm guy all the way. Light, fast, beautifully proportional with standard diameter steel tubing, classic/heritage etc. Finally got tired of reality (city streets and paths) beating me up, and that was really prompted by buying, on a lark, a pair of Soma Supple Vitesse 700x48mm tires and mounting them to a bike that didn't fit me but fit them. What a revelation. Got 42mm versions of the same that fit my tourer (with the heart of a racer) and the transition to the Dark Side was complete. Being able to trophy truck over garbage roads at the same speed you would on a super light race bike, and not get jackhammered to death in the process, is 1000% worth it. But you have to have a bike/frame that matches your style as well as good quality tires.

I know a lot of big tire bikes look slow, fuddy, dorky, old-timey mustache rider-y, or just awkward (650B and tall frames are a pass for me), and that was my chief complaint, especially as a 65cm+ bike rider. Skinny tubing at scaffolding sizes with the equivalent of UGG work boots boat anchoring the overall aesthetic--a really bad look. So, since I like road/race bikes but don't want to have to drive to the countryside where the roads are decent, I'm just infusing a ton of go-fast and aggressive into my touring bike (a Trek 620) and it's well on it's way to being both capable (over bad roads) and fast. Your roads may be different, likely better, so there is no "need." I completely understand. Some guys just don't care how bad the roads are, they just deal. That was me, too. I'd keep the big tire door open, just in case.

Until some future date where I pick up another 66cm road bike (instead of the 620 and maybe the 510 only), long live 23s.

I get it, but to meI just feel like I'd be back on a mountain bike. I was a Seattle bike messenger for 11 years. I started out on a mountain bike with 1.25 slicks, and rode that for the first year. When I went to a road bike, which weren't cool back in 1995, I couldn't believe the amount of energy I was wasting on the fat tires. That was enough to sell me on skinny tires forever. Right now I'm riding 25's and I do like them better than the 23's, but next time I'm replacing my tires, I'm going with tubeless 25's