View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 01:16 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Could you elaborate a bit on your rear rack? (what model, what capacity, why not a "conventional" rear rack?)
It's a Carradice Bagman QR Expedition with support. It's sort of what the Erlen saddle bag support was designed for as well. This one has a 10Kg (22 lbs) weight capacity but it can be increased with some extra struts.
Basically it's a support for a (larger) saddlebag. I use mine with a Carradice Super C (23L / 1403 cu inch) but there are tons of other options like a Swift Zeitgeist and many others.

I ride this bike with a front bias, so with a rando bag in the front + two smaller panniers and a saddlebag in the back. A frame bag is coming up. It's slightly more aerodynamic and I like the saddlebag for ease of access while riding. It's really easy to strap extra things to it as well.
Plus I think it looks cool.

But a saddlebag like this mostly rides really nicely because it is in line with your center of gravity on the bike. So you hardly notice it while riding.

Here is a different bike with the same bags and rack: