Old 06-10-21, 10:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmendoza

Got this frameset NOS off ebay for cheap, needed a bigger frame. It's a 59 and I'm 6'0" with a long torso. Reach seems ok, could go longer. Not sure if it is setup too deep, but I get a decent bend in my elbows when trying to be "aero." Overall I wouldn't recommend the frame, I'm coming from a too small bike trying to find the right fit for me before investing in something nice. It has a 74 head angle, but came with a 45mm offset fork. =/ The tire rubs the seat tube mid-way through the dropout range, so only the back half us usable. One of the steel fork-end protectors was slighly bent and one of the screws stripped out.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's better you find out sooner than later.

The rear track ends / dropouts are already pretty short by modern standards. Being that the rear triangle is somehow defectively too short or the seat tube too thick and you can only use maybe 1cm of the dropout, you simply won't be able to change gears like everyone else.

The reason the dropouts need to be long is to allow the wheel to move up and back with various chainring + cog combinations. You won't be able to do that now. You'll find that you are limited to maybe 2 or 3 combinations and be locked into gearing that's probably not optimal for the task (warmup, mass start, sprinting, time trials, training, whatever).