Old 12-08-21, 11:20 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by NocoRider
Not entirely clear on your intent but some things to consider... (food for thought)

The 1x12 derailleur will work as a friction derailleur BUT shifting between more than 7 or 8 cogs requires a lot of precision. So a 1x12 friction drivetrain would require accurate shifting and trimming.

The freehub body for a 12 speed cassette is much wider than 8 speed which is wider than 7 speed. SRAM 12 speed cassettes require the XR freehub body which would not fit on any of the vintage hubs. Shimano 11 speed cassettes have the same splines as 7 speed so maybe one could fit 9 or 10 of the 11 speed cogs onto a 7 speed freehub???

12 speed chainrings & cogs are MUCH narrower than the 7 speed chainrings & cogs so the 12spd chains are much narrower. The derailleur's jockey wheels are designed to match the chain width. So putting a 12

The pull ration of 12 speed derailleurs is incompatible with 7 speed shifters - indexing would not work.
my intent was to try and help the fellow with the questions. iow's, i'm not the one in need of advice. however, your post is certainly informative and i will learn something i didn't know