Old 09-28-22, 09:28 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
My hands get cold very easily.
For years, I had some goretex shell gloves from REI, oversized for me, with lots of room for liners. Shell gloves, wind/water blocking with no insulation, seem to be non-existent now? I don't know why.
They were great. I could layer up a thin liner, a fleece glove, and the shell. Or go all the way down to just the shell itself if the day warmed up. And they were easy to wash too.

I now have electric heated gloves! I looked at reviews and got the Volt Heat Tatra gloves. Very expensive, but completely worth it to me. These have small lithium batteries in the cuff, and 4 levels of heat. Nice insulation in the gloves, too. The heat extends down each finger and thumb.
When off, they are probably too warm above the 50-55F range. In the 40s, I usually start them on high-4, then dial down as my core warms up from the riding. After 30 min, I'm usually at level 1 or 2 out of 4. I easily get 2 hours from them and that's about as long as I ride in the winter. The one ride I did at 30F was marginal--I had cold but not painfully cold fingers.

These gloves are so nice for winter snow hiking, often in the range of 25F to 40F.

~~~~
Moderate (for me) temperatures:
Glove liners are so versatile
I have very thin REI liners that work great under short finger gloves in the mid 50s to upper 60s. Or as liners for winter gloves.
Fleece windblocking gloves for low 50s to 60.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-28-22 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For rm -rf: