Old 10-14-21, 07:25 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I remember drinking wine as a young one ridding with the old boys in Vicenza Italy. We would stop, water up, make adjustments, catch our breath, maybe eat some bread, and wash it down with wine so dry it could suck the spit right out of your mouth...

That local wine usually did not really have a name other than Garganega...
I don’t know when you were young, but forty or fifty years ago, the Soave zone, nearby to Vicenza, made quite a big boom for itself marketing industrial grade wines from garganega in the USA. I recall, as a kid, seeing the ads on TV and thinking that Franco Bolla lifestyle was so cool…. Anyway, the focus has really shifted in the past 20 years or so, and there are many producers now taking a more earnest and serious approach to Soave. Roberto Anselmi is one such producer, and he even abandoned use of the name Soave in protest of the generally low quality of the appellation; I don’t know if he’s back to using it or not. Stefano Inama is another which comes to mind, remarkable for some of the elegant, barrel aged expressions he produces, like Vigneto du Lot.