Old 01-06-14, 12:52 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfixed
I just bought a used fuji track 2.0 and love it, and I want to start racing, and I think the closest track is San Jose, Hellyer Park (I don't think I spelled that right),
I'm in the Walnut Creek/Alamo/Danville/San Ramon Area, any closer tracks?
Also I'm a little afraid of going down there, I don't want to screw anything up. Any tips
Hi and welcome to the sport!

DO NOT go on to the track before you attend a beginner's course. This goes for any track. Imagine if you bought a new sports car then took it to a local racetrack "for a few laps". There will be drama. Especially if there are other racers on the track. Some tracks have specific rules on the subject, others are more liberal.

This goes for cyclists from other disciplines, too. Even guys who are highly experienced road/MTB/etc... racers have to go through an intro course to learn the etiquette. Basically, what to do, what not to do, what to expect, and what you are expected to do.

Find the website (sorry I don't know the URL) and poke around for a "beginners" or "intro to the track" course. Every track has them. Also, find out when people train and go to the track and just watch and ask questions. We were all track newbies at one time. A majority of the participants start racing track as adults.

If you can't find info, start a new thread and ask your questions there. I'm not in the Bay Area so I'm not familiar with the details.