Old 01-14-20, 08:22 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 872:

15F and windy. I left the house early because I had a doctor's appointment before work. I was about two miles from home and really struggling to maintain speed. I thought it was a combination of the head wind and me still recovering from the flu.

I saw my friend Scott about a hundred yards behind me on the MUP, so I decided to take a rest break and pull over. He stopped and we chatted for a couple of minutes. He works at the hospital where I was going, but I told him that I was moving especially slow this morning and for him to go on without me. He took off, and I started to ride again. This time as I was pedaling something definitely felt wrong. I looked down to discover my rear tire was completely flat.

When I bought the fat bike I had the tires converted to tubeless because (ironically) they are supposed to be puncture resistant. The trade off is when they do go flat they're pretty difficult to fix on the road. I decided that I wasn't going to make my doctor's appointment, so I called and cancelled and will probably get a bill for it anyway. Instead of going to the hospital I decided to try and limp to the client's office 2.5 miles away and then figure out how to deal with my tire there.

I pushed the bike 1.5 miles with the flat tire. If you think riding a fat bike is good exercise, you should try pushing one! With about a mile to go a kind stranger with a truck saw my plight and stopped to give me a ride the rest of the way.

I'm going to call my wife and see if she can leave for work early, and take me and the bike down to the LBS to get the tire fixed. I can then ride back to the office and ride home tonight.