View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 09:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Love Top Fuel, though the Mile High Nationals are likely in trouble this year. Bandimere had the Jet Car Nationals over the 4th, and pissed off the powers that be.

I'm not sure how close you follow them, but the stories are awesome. When Bernstein did the first 300 mph pass, the goal was to keep the fire lit for the whole 1/4 mile. The magneto's weren't keeping a hot enough spark to keep the plugs firing, so they decided to inject Argon into each mag, which worked. Now, the mags produce 44 amps apiece, and burn the plugs out by the time the run is halfway done. That's when it turns into a diesel.
I don't follow it closely but I enjoy it on tv and the few times at the Winternationals have been memorable. It's shocking to the senses in person. I took my ex, she had no idea what to expect. We stood up to watch the first fuel cars go by and she fell back to her seat.

When I was a kid we would ride our bikes to a local strip and the dragsters were barely hitting 200mph. Now the Pro Stock cars go 210.

I also love that women have been on equal footing with the men.