View Single Post
Old 12-26-20, 03:03 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
There was a recent thread talking about "thread stoppers" or "thread killers" and to be honest I never even got around to reading that thread. But I thought about the concept as it pertains to me not getting the help I seek, on a thread that I start. Often the first person who responds to the OP's thread can either give it a great launch or the at the opposite pole, a negative, juvenile or snarky response might damn the OP's query to the dust bin.

I've also noticed that I have inadvertently shut down other people's threads with my opinions, or detailed suggestions. For example: recently I gave my opinion on the best way to properly mount an Octalink crankset onto an Octalink bottom bracket. The recommendations that I made were very specific and contradicted some of the advice that had been dished out previously by other posters on this thread. I felt that a few of the responses were just silly, unhelpful or just plain misinformed. Like folks were just postulating what they thought the proper solution to some specific mechanical problem might be. Some folks were being polite and playing the devil's advocate with one grouchy respondent whose response seemed both heavy handed and ill informed at the same time. Thank goodness that there are those good natured bike forum members who possess the ability to remain supportive, to guide the topic back on track when it veers off the tracks with venomous cynicism.

But no one posted anything further to that particular post after my post. I mean, it just went dead silent after that. I thought for sure someone would have follow up questions about my specific recommendation of a 2 handed "T-Bar" as the best way to apply even torque and the best way to get reliable tactile feedback when installing a part without buggering it up...

Last edited by masi61; 12-26-20 at 03:07 PM.
Likes For masi61: