View Single Post
Old 06-07-21, 11:25 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Old thread but this may be of interest.

I put a nice, vintage Edco swiss made track crank on my Cannondale Capo. To test for spindle width I have some $ 30 bike shop specials I use to test with.

This set up needed a 118 mm to make it ridable but I was getting a close pass on my left crank arm, about 1.4 mm. I felt my chain line was good right where is was and did not want to go to 122 if I could avoid it.

On a friends advice I shucked out $90 for the Omni Racer Titanium 118 mm spindle BB, very light, (it saved just over 1/4 lb of weight ) and now (as my friend said it would)) the left crank arm rides 2.9 mm off the chainstay

Looking at the machining of the spindle it seems to ride a bit tighter and higher on the taper. Just to be sure I rode it 50 miles, tapped the crank arms in with a wooden block and hammer and retorqued the crank bolts, still the same clearance.

All good here now!