View Single Post
Old 07-04-21, 07:50 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Project Denali...aka pimp this turd

I finally found a GMC Denali road bike that is my size. I got this yesterday for $80. I plan on turning it into a budget gravel grinder. I took off all of the low end components and have most of what I need in my parts bin. New BB and brakes have been ordered. Nothing expensive and quite frankly inexpensive components. I'm going to keep the fork and stock wheels for now and will upgrade them down the road. I know many people on this forum hate this bike, but I consider it a relatively good and upgradable platform.

A few things to consider if one should get this bike.
1. Replace the bottom bracket. The Denali uses an old school bottom bracket, and its pretty crappy. When removing the pedals I could feel it wobble.
2. The stock brakes are terrible. They have okay stopping power once you change the pads out, but they are not the best overall.
3. Yes the revo shifters, and handlebars (heavy af,) are a weird configuration. They work but you might want to consider upgrading, to STI or other standard road bike shifters.
4. The derailleurs are clunky and the rear one is heavy...usable, however you can upgrade them down the road.

Overall it's a decent price for what you get and you can swap out the low end components for better ones over time. The cost over time will not be so bad if you know how to do some basic wrenching, and have some basic tools.

I'm probably a fool, because I like taking bikes like this and making them better. I also like wrenching, though I doubt that I could land a job as a bike mechanic, with my current skillset.
Likes For grizzly907la: