View Single Post
Old 08-26-23, 10:14 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ok, surely it is open by now. I'm not sure there is any change. They're not listing any fines or enforcement. Rather "At your own risk", which is what was always implied.

For winter/spring rides, I've always felt that one should plan on a trip up and back on one side. Don't plan on a through trip from McKenzie Bridge to Sisters. That way, if conditions are worse than expected, simply turn around.
It's definitely open to cars right now, but they did close it for awhile last week due to low visibility from wildfire smoke. There were some on social media complaining about the closure, but I personally figure the reason to ride it is the views anyway.

I rode it on June 11th before the gate opened and there was quite a crowd that day.

I met a rider from Portland at Belknap Hotsprings who was trying to get a shuttle back to Sisters as he had started in Sisters with a group of friends, but found the climb back over to Sisters a bit daunting. He did get ahold of a shuttle company that does shuttles for McKenzie Pass and also the McKenzie River Trail. Even though it was fairly late the shuttle company was willing to give him a ride saving his friends the task of driving back to get him. The price was very reasonable especially considering the time of day and the likelihood he was the only one in the van for that trip.