Old 05-16-22, 01:32 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
What would your tactic to stay out of the way in this instance have been?
I have no data on which to make any judgement of blame regarding this accident and will not do so. Nor do I imply any error or fault by the biker. He may be just the victim of a situation over which he had no control, and I am indeed sorry for the result. Sometimes bad things happen no matter how skillful or cautious we may be.

My post was not meant to assess any blame or failure - that's solely up to the investigating agency, not some remote forum. I merely meant to address the concept implied in the thread title that the bus driver was "not looking out for the biker." I cannot assume that anyone is "looking out" for me. Just yesterday on a 20 mile ride I had two situations that could easily have resulted in my injury or worse. Both were situations where I had the right-of-way. I had a headlight and was wearing a bright jersey in a color that could probably be seen on Google Earth. Both situations were cases where the driver never saw me until I stopped short, both had shocked looks on their faces. They were not "looking out" for me. Fortunately, I was.

I will grant you that there are times that accidents happen no matter how cautious or innocent we may be. And people make stupid mistakes. A couple years ago my car was totaled while sitting stopped in traffic. Another driver was busy adjusting his radio. There was absolutely nothing I could do. I walked away unharmed, but . . . . .

But I also find that there are times when people place themselves in vulnerable positions. I live near a busy 4-lane highway, 45mph limit with traffic usually running 50-55. There are wide bike paths on both sides of the road, yet everyday I see riders mixing with the traffic, "taking the lane." Do they have the right to ride there? Certainly. Do they have the right to the lane? Certainly. Is this a wise or careful thing to do? You decide.

In another incident a year ago in our area a school bus was stopped in the right lane at an intersection A rider pulled up on the right side of the bus between the bus and the curb. The light changed, the rider went straight, the bus turned right - rider went under the rear duals.

This forum has a couple of other threads - one dealing with the dangers of a large group ride blocking the road, the other about riding on a narrow roadway - both situations causing driver frustration and unsafe passing. Driver error? Sure, but . . . .

I am only trying to say that I cannot rely on others for my safety. It is dangerous to assume that they will always do the right thing. My flight instructor taught me that a long time ago. Cycling (and living) has dangers - I merely try my best to minimize my exposure to them without becoming a paranoid hermit in a cave. Usually that works out well - but I'm also prone to the same errors. I have done my share of dumb stuff!

Unfortunately we live in a victim oriented society so we are quick to blame "them" when something goes wrong.
Likes For MNebiker: