View Single Post
Old 05-23-22, 07:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
OP already showed us the best way to change the way motorists treat us and that is having cameras on our bike and report reckless driving behavior such as close passes. We just need a lot more riders doing it and hoping that law enforcement will take these reports seriously and act on them in a timely manner.

I also ride in the middle of the car lane if applicable (like in the OP's video). But if I see a driver behind me isn't slowing down and intending to make a close pass in my lane, I move aside. I just don't feel safe standing my ground against reckless drivers. If anything went wrong, I'll be the one ending up on ER with broken bones if I'm lucky to be alive. I also move aside if driver behind sounded their horn when they're about to pass.

I have helmet mirror and frequently watch my back for any approaching driver and take evasive action if necessary. Rear view mirror makes a huge difference in safety.

I agree that if a motorist is insisting on heading at me, I'm going to retreat or take evasive action. Now that you've clarified what you meant, I don't think we disagree about anything. I'm not moving just because someone honked in most circumstances, but that's a personal call to be made situationally. I certainly have no interest in second-guessing you on that. We're all dealing with roads where many drivers feel that the rules don't apply to them, and the fact is they are handling a very heavy motorized deadly implement and we are not. One needs to leave room for improvisation when there's no way to predict the misconduct of others.

My view on this is that we are generally the best judges of what works for us, which is why I have so little tolerance of those posters who want to lecture other posters about how they're doing it wrong.
Likes For livedarklions: