Old 11-26-17, 07:58 PM
loxx0050

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounce
Thanks, can you explain further regarding why an aero road bike set up with aero bars for Tri position is better for my needs than just getting a tri/TT bike?
My setup was such that I got as low and forward as I could go on my road bike (at the time) to get in as aero position as I could get on that bike. When I finally got a dedicated Tri/TT bike my net speed difference wasn't that much.

The big speed difference between the two bikes is the aero bar position...which you are already mimicing on your road bike. Hence the net speed difference not being as much as you'd think.

For example on some of my regular riding routes on my road bike with aero bars I was 1-1.5mph avg speed faster than without the aerobars. When I first got my TT bike I took it for a test spin on a regular route and only netted 0.5mph faster. Wind conditions not being exactly the same but not dramatically different either. But this is with aero wheels also (semi deep dish HED Jet 5 wheelset).

These days I run a deeper setup on my TT bike (HED Jet 9+ front and a HED Disc+) but only ride this bike for short distance TT's. Would like to do some 40k TT's but haven't had the time to get the fitness levels to feel I could take that punishment. Used to do short distance triathlons but having a kid along with injuries have reduced my time that I've taken a break from that. I'll pick it up again when my kids are older eventually.