Old 03-17-21, 11:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by adam.schwartz4
THIS is very helpful. The fact that I'm upgrading from the heaviest tires known to the touring world (Marathon Plus) means I should be able to strike a unique balance between supple/faster and an increase in width for greater load capacity and stability. I am guilty of overloading for tours, so I can probably do better in the weight department.

What tires are your preference?
My road bike has 28mm tires, my rando bike has 32mm, my light touring bike is 37mm, medium duty touring bike 40mm (pavement) or 50mm (gravel), and my heavy touring bike has 57mm tires. Those are my preferences.

I have never used Marathon Plus tires.

Some of the tires I tour on are no longer in production. I have toured on Marathons (with Greenguard), Marathon Duremes (folding bead), Marathon Extremes (folding bead), Hutchinson Globetrotters, and have one Marathon XR that is not yet worn out. I think these provide a good balance of flat protection and rolling efficiency. The ones I listed as folding bead came in both types, the folding bead versions roll better.

Non-touring, I have used lots of other tires.

Touring, if I carry a spare it is not a replacement, it is a light weight folding tire that should be good enough to get me to a bike shop.