Old 09-01-21, 09:08 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
I had a very happy discovery last night ( as I am patiently awaiting a cheap-ish tire to get this rideable ) as I put a 700C wheel on the front to just do a quick gear-changing test ride. The original Dia-Compe brakes have PLENTY of adjustment, and the 700C works without any changes beyond the brake pad position. What's really crazy is that the tire on the wheel ( only wheel that was within reach ) is a Kenda 40mm and it FITS with a little wiggle room. I certainly couldn't run these with a fender, but it worked perfectly!!! I am now VERY glad that I opted for a single replacement tire b/c I think I'm going to wind up riding this with a different wheelset all together. I'll hold onto the originals for the day I decide to sell, but that was a very happy discovery!

*****EDIT: I didn't look when I did my experiment with the 700C wheel on the front. The rear brake is already maxed out for the back wheel, so I'd need so do some kind of offset (pads or binder bolt) to make the frame work with a 700C rear wheel. I'm leaving this edit here in case anyone else cares.

Last edited by RobertUI; 09-02-21 at 10:06 AM.