View Single Post
Old 09-04-21, 07:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Tire size aside, I once rode a 2000 mile tour on a road bike and the tighter frame geometry kind of beat me up. I normally don't notice nuances in frame designs, but that was enough time in the saddle to make a difference to me. But I was in my 40s at the time, and a teenager may not notice. I say go for it.
I'm wriiting this more for Bjorn, but I can relate to your story to my late 90s aluminum framed mtb and its harsh ride--very typical for this era of alum bike. I ride it a lot with street tires and I really notice how tire pressures make ALL the difference with being beat up vs not being beat up by this frame.
I agree that a teenager won't notice stuff, but just like my wife doesn't notice stuff, I know she unknowingly suffers from too little tire pressure (never thinks to check pressures, can't use pump) or too high pressures, etc etc, so I also know that my taking care of things like this means that she will (unknowingly) be in better shape when we do long rides.
Its the same with not drinking enough or regularly enough on a hot hot day. Sometimes it's our responsibility to make sure/encourage that they drink enough, because I've been down this road numerous times with my wife being either wacked out and or getting a headache that night, simply because she doesnt keep on top of hydration.
I kinda figure its the same thing with a teenager, its in everyones best interests to use our experience to help them with stuff like this, makes for a more enjoyable experience for all and less chance of even stuff like a fall or whatever if someone is really tired etc.