View Single Post
Old 09-08-21, 06:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
A 30/30 will give about 26 gear inches. IMO something in the low 20s or high teens is better for touring.

I'm just curious. What gear ratios did the folks who said that the son's bike's gears are OK for the "relatively gentle" slopes found in the west use when they rode the TA?
I was using a 21.9" granny on my Trans America, but I was in my heavy packing phase (my first tour). It should be noted that I was okay with over 50 pounds of stuff and made it up climbs like Vesuvius. He will be riding unladen and will be riding none of the really steep stuff in the east. I could have stopped in a bike shop at any point and put on a 24t ring and/or a cluster with 34t and never did.

Gearing choices can vary pretty widely with the rider. So it is hard for us to say what he would be happy with. Personally I think ratios in the teens are pretty extreme even for loaded touring and he won't be loaded. Something between what he has and that is probably sensible. He can get a 13-32 or 13-34 and that gets him to 25.3 or 23.8 respectively. That is probably a pretty good place to be and doubt he would wish for lower gears often if at all.