Old 10-25-21, 02:48 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I (still) drive a SAAB, so this ain't my first rodeo - and it happens in my career too, as companies phase out the large-scale purification equipment my lab needs to make concentrated RNA samples for NMR experiments. Hek, I've practically got a PhD in parrying planned obsolescence!

I think it's critical to acquire skills and tools. They can't take those away from you! I learned to braze, weld, and machine things just about as the SAAB parts and lab stuff really got scarce, so I was able to somewhat seamlessly switch over to making it myself. This is probably what I'll do with bike stuff as well. I've already made a couple quill stems and a front derailleur, along with a smattering of cables and other odds and ends for antique tandems. My dream is to get a shop with all the necessary equipment (CNC mill, lathe, TIG) so I don't need to rely on my workplace for it. I also want space to setup some baths for chroming and anodization. What's next? A foundry, I guess! It would be cool to cast things, at least small stuff in aluminum or bronze.

I figure I should be able to stave off most planned obsolescence this way. As long as bearings remain available, I should be good to go. Making bearings is hard.
Speaking of SAABS 1990original owner red box with lots O parts stashed away.

Bike parts enough to last "my" lifetime.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors