View Single Post
Old 03-13-23, 02:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
OP, back again. To think I gave up on this thread after the first dozen or so responders didn't want to respond to a thread like this!

Just to muddy the waters, the "actual professionals" I've encountered seem to be the ones who know where their area of expertise ends. If the discussion overlaps their expertise, they'll contribute a few lines of knowledge. On the other hand, those who contribute a few dozen (argumentative) posts with 3/4 screen screeds and numbered color glossy photographs with arrows and labels? Most of them should pick up guitars instead.
That's really the point of Dunning Kruger, the little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing because people get over-confident in their ability to do things that require actual expertise.

I'm ok with people illustrating where they were riding and what happened with arrows and labels, but where it gets really funny is when people try to reconstruct crashes they didn't see with arrows and labels they put in--they just confirm their own bias.

The hazard that professionals run into are when they think their expertise in one area makes them a quick study in another. We all have our Dunning Kruger moments.