View Single Post
Old 03-22-23, 09:01 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 77record
I'm just getting back into riding after sporadic riding over the winter. Yesterday, after a month off I had a good ride and was surprised how little pain I had after and since.

I know there are a lot of variables but began wondering about tire pressure. I'm 68 and ride purely for enjoyment and exercise; my average ride is 7-10 miles a few times per week, about 90% pavement and 10% crushed stone trail. Tires are 700x35.

I'm sure many wil think my inflation practices are wacky, but I use the thumb method to check, and then if needed, fill the tires from a small compressed air tank until they "feel right". Not scientific at all. I filled them before my ride but began wondering if topped up harder tires were the reason I had so little pain afterwards. Pedaling seemed surprisingly easy after my hiatus.

Any thoughts, or too many variables?
You don't mention your weight, which could be a big variable. If you weigh 120 lb. then 35 psi would be about right. If you weigh 200 lb, then 60 psi. Big difference in the feel of the tire by squeeze. Higher pressures are not going to make you faster, just less comfortable, poorer traction, and faster tire wear. Check your tires with a gauge and then adjust your "squeeze test" to match.
Likes For KerryIrons: