Old 09-08-22, 01:47 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
What’s the fun in running away from having your head handed to you…again?
What do you mean I got my head handed to me? I thought you realized your mistake and we moved on after you admitted it? You're now saying you won? Here is the exact quote of you admitting your mistake. I thought I was being gracious. Next time you prefer for me to kick you a few times after you are down to make it sink in and ensure you're able to remember? What the hell??? Hello???

Decreasing speed 0.5mph below terminal speed compared to pulse braking to keep the average speed 20 mph lower than terminal…the pulse braking might result in slightly higher rim temperatures. It might not, however. It would depend on magnitude of the difference.
Yes, your rims do in fact deflect over 5mm side to side with only hand pressure. I asked you to go to your bike and try it. Did you try it? No you didn't. I know you didn't try it because if you did you wouldn't be talking. If you don't know metric units, take a ruler with you. Yes, bike wheels are in fact surprisingly flexible laterally. Yes, I know how to build wheels properly. I've seen you in the touring forum so you know I'm an expedition tourist: off road Mongolia Gobi Desert, Central Asia Silk Road, Burma, etc. The worst roads in the world with full expedition loads. I've been building wheels for a very long time. I worked in a bike shop during college. I don't mind if you question other stuff but please don't start with this ******** about wheel building. You can't build a better wheel than me. Just end it right there.

Yes, if your center of gravity is not in plane with the bike it is possible to have a sideways force on the wheel. But as I said in my previous post this would not be riding your bicycle properly. Do you actually ride like this? When you are riding straight, do you have your bike canted to one side and your body leaning to the other side? When you are cornering, are you doing some motocross style body dip where you throw your ass off the inside of the bike? Or are you one of those people who corner by leaning the bike over but keep their body upright? To whoever is reading this and is learning to ride a bike, don't do that. Always keep a straight tuck around a high speed corner. By the time you actually need these extremely niche bike leaning techniques for berm and off camber mountain bike turns, you're already too advanced to be reading this crap on Bike Forums.

The bike and rider would put far more lateral force on a wheel when cornering than would happen during a crash.
Let us refocus and come back to the point: my original response was to your claim above that the lateral force on a wheel during a turn is far more than the wheel bending force during a crash. Believe me, any lateral force you manage to moto-dip with your ass onto the wheel is not greater than the rim bending force in a crash. No matter how large your ass is and no matter how poor your riding technique is. You say in your other post that you've never bent a wheel during a crash? Good for you for being so lucky. I have, as have plenty of other people. Isn't it crazy that your personal anecdotal experience isn't the universal truth? Hard to accept I know.

When you have managed to bend a wheel purely by cornering too hard, then return here and report back in to us. In the meantime please stop with these patently wrong false-confidence statements.

Last edited by Yan; 09-08-22 at 02:23 AM.
Likes For Yan: