View Single Post
Old 02-10-23, 09:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 565 Posts
Great Plains Gravel Route

My interest is just a little piqued by the teaser about this new route in the latest Adventure Cyclist magazine. It looks like it might hit a few of the right notes for me. Big Bend is on my bucket list. The flint Hills were awesome when I rode there in the spring some years ago. I have not ridden that portion of Oklahoma (the panhandle sucked on the route I crossed it). I have read that KS and NE can be interesting given the right route and I have enjoyed KS well enough on a few other trips. I have never seen the lowess hills. I have never set foot or rolled a wheel onto either of the Dakotas. So there are some potential attractions to the route for me

Anyone know more about the route than the article reveals?

It might be fun to do another tour on my old rigid mountail bike either with or without the drop bar setup it is outfitted with at the moment, My hardtail mountain bike that is my daily ride would be fun on a route like that as well. Also it could also be a reasonable excuse to buy a gravel bike.

I would think timing would mean starting in the south at a time that put you in the Flint Hills when they are that amazing green. I'd want to try to get to the Dakotas before it was too hot though. Hot sure if both of those are possible. Maybe hitting the Flint Hills in early Spring and making decent time would do it. I'd have to sit down with a route map and weatherspark to plan. Splitting it and doing half one year and half another doesn't really appeal to me, but could solve any weather timing issue.