View Single Post
Old 10-27-12, 10:11 PM
Dux_Helm

Bikes: Cannondale six-13, LarryvsHarry Bullitt (Cargo bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I would be glad to say a few words about them
For my money it is the most elegant solution for cargo cycling.
It also makes a very decent long-range tourer.

With the load platform in the front and low to the ground, the centre of gravity is low, handling is excellent and the load distribution is always even, both side-to-side and front-back.
It is also easy to keep an eye on whatever you are transporting and need be to stop and re-adjust the cargo.
Centre stand also makes it very easy to handle the bike, to load-unload.
Mind you the bike needs to be on a fairly even ground for the centre stand to function properly.

With a front wheel E-kit it eliminates any need for a car, other than long distance, or very large and extra heavy loads.

I have to mention though that due to it's design it usually takes a few minutes to get used to it.
Handling is much different from an ordinary bike, so unlike..say a long-tail bike The Bullitt or any Bakfiets/Long John style bike will take a bit of practice to get a hang of it.

But that said, it is a very fun bike to ride.
Thanks to the long wheel base, it also handles very well in the winter, in slippery conditions.

IT is the only production Long John style bike to come with an aluminium frame, making it fairly light, too (22-24kg depending on configuration).

I have put roughly 5000kms on a Bullitt, both loaded and empty, E-assisted and pure muscle.
I have also used it with internal 8spd Alfine, 7spd Sram and external 27spd.

Alfine is my favourite, though for my environment (Vancouver,Canada) a 27spd is a more practical solution.