clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Hi there,

I'm a long time rider and avid C&Ver who just hit a wall this past year. I had a knee replacement that went south and I've drastically lost my ability to ride. No offence intended to those who've probably overcome much greater obstacles but the impact on my physical and mental well being has been dramatic.

I'm only getting about 100 degrees of rotation out of my new knee and that likely translates to no more than 150 mm of crank length. Even then I'm not sure I can keep the inflammation and pain down.

So any information or suggestions for sourcing or making custom cranks? There's very little-to-none available off-the shelf and I was hoping to find some alternative solutions. Revision surgery appears to be an unlikely solution in my case.

Thank you.

Well after reading a bit further I found this. I'll do my homework but any other solutions are still appreciated.

Originally Posted by ACyclingRooster
Hi to you all out there. A rather late introduction but nevertheless. This might well serve some purpose transcribed into the other thread for those with disabilities or impairments/disadvantages.
I joined this forum in 2010 after I had not long before received Total Left Knee replacement. I am 4ft 10 inches tall with a 23" inside leg measurement.
That created a massive problem when it came to the full circulatory action of the crank arm on the @Metal Knee side,the maximum bend that I can achieve is 92*. Taller riders would not experience this.
I got over the problem with some 140mm crank arms courtesy of SJS (Thorn) Cycles and used Stronglight rings on their crank-arm 5arm spider.
The shorter crank configuration has created an equivalent of a 2tooth increase in ring size and also has created a very slight difference in cadence because of being slightly nearer the spindle centre.
The alternatives were a few but the shorter crank arms were by far the neatest and less likely for potential failure & wear and tear on the components.
I was so pleased with the end result that I have equipped all three of my bikes the same and all with Marcel Berthet Lyotard Platform Peddles. I can go from one bike to another with the same Vittoria Leather Cycling Shoes and Aluminium Plates with ease.

Last edited by clubman; 07-17-16 at 07:37 PM.