View Single Post
Old 07-18-16, 05:33 AM
ACyclingRooster

Bikes: a Fully restored 52cm Italian build Benotto Modelo 850.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Hi there,

I'm a long time rider and avid C&Ver who just hit a wall this past year. I had a knee replacement that went south and I've drastically lost my ability to ride. No offence intended to those who've probably overcome much greater obstacles but the impact on my physical and mental well being has been dramatic.

I'm only getting about 100 degrees of rotation out of my new knee and that likely translates to no more than 150 mm of crank length. Even then I'm not sure I can keep the inflammation and pain down.

So any information or suggestions for sourcing or making custom cranks? There's very little-to-none available off-the shelf and I was hoping to find some alternative solutions. Revision surgery appears to be an unlikely solution in my case.

Thank you.

Well after reading a bit further I found this. I'll do my homework but any other solutions are still appreciated.
Hi clubman. From what I have read it sounds very much like you are suffering with Scar Tissue that has healed rather quickly and that is causing the restriction. I had it happen with my total replacement left knee and at the time (some 8 weeks later) I could only achieve a 110* bend - I was booked into theatre and manipulation under anaesthetic was carried-out. I was in hospital during the day of the procedure and the next day but allowed home during the afternoon of day three.
A tight dressing was needed to help control the inevitable swelling but after a few days that was removed and regular healing then took place.
It would be best described as shoving my own foot up my backside and anaesthetic was necessary because the pain would have been far more than I could have tolerated - as a result I can now achieve a 92* bend from cold and a 90* bend after a short warm-up on the bike.

You dont say how tall you are and what your inside leg measurement is - it all matters you know.
I stand at 4'10" tall and have a 23" inside leg measurement - at pushing 71 years of age I can be thankful for small mercies as I can still ride my bikes.