View Single Post
Old 03-08-21, 12:09 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
It has close to 0 trail based on my measurements.
That would surprise me a lot. I haven't carefully measured my '79 Fuji America, but the lug joining the top tube to the head tube says "73," and a quick eyeballing suggests a fork offset of somewhere around 60mm. This would give a trail of about 42mm with my 28mm tires.

Interestingly, there is only one mount for what appears to be fenders. However, given the tight clearances, perhaps the mounts were for a front rack system, since fenders were not really in vogue in the early 80's when this model was released.
Eyelets aren't really purpose-specific. When I had a rack on my America, I used its single rear eyelet for both the rack and the fenders. (I put the fenders stays on the "outside", to minimize the unsupported load on the bolt.)

With front eyelets, it's most convenient to attach racks to eyelets that sit in front of the fork blades, and fenders to eyelets that sit behind the fork blades. That's why on bikes that have two pairs of eyelets on the front dropout, they usually put one set in front of the blades and one set behind, like on my Campeur: