View Single Post
Old 06-09-21, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
Exactly like you. I've been calling my Saturday rides "Adventure Saturday". I pick a slower, more comfortable road bike. I pick an different, interesting destination each time. (I live in Brighton Mi, a few of my destinations have been like Stony Creek Metro Park, Lake Erie Metropark, Owosso, and others).
I even drove down the PA's GAP trail and road that for 100 miles out of Ohioplye.
The other two long rides were with organized brevets.
My pace for my Saturday rides is an easier one, slower, with the intention to just enjoy the day, not suffer.
I always stop for a sit down lunch with plenty of calories. Heck, on my GAP trail ride with 10 miles left to go, I stopped in Confluence for a few beers and a basket of fries. and left with the most energy I had all day.
If I am on trails, I'll also put on some music via earbuds, take it easy, and zone out a bit. If I'm close to home, I'll even have a beer at a party store, drank in the parking lot. Nice carbs for the 10 miles or so left.

I usually ride pretty fast on my centuries, but with a break in the middle and I don't sweat it if I need to slow down for traffic or scenery. Last year, I wasn't taking breaks because there wasn't really anywhere to stop for lunch or coffee. The rides went faster, but it definitely was less fun. With the ability to take a nice indoor break, I'll probably go back to doing 125 mile + rides again. I did a 108 mile ride last Saturday, but the 90 degree plus weather made that seem really, really long. But riding down by the ocean and having lunch in Portsmouth NH was very nice, I hadn't been able to do the lunch part in a long time.