Old 06-17-22, 09:15 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Wide Range Gearing options for Giant Expressway

Are those combination 3sp planetary drive plus 8/9sp cassette hubs available already built into 20" (406) wheels? I can't actually find any Sturmey-Archer CS-RF3 hubs in stock anywhere in the U.S. but I've found a couple for sale in the UK. Then I would need it built into a 20" wheel for my Giant Expressway. I doubt the spokes of the OEM wheel would be any use, so would it be worth the re-using of the stock rim, or should I just get a new wheel built? Which leads to the question posed at the beginning of this post.

Or should I think about trying to put a front derailleur and double chainring on the bike? Cable stops and guides for a FD are already brazed on the frame. The stock chainring is 53T. I've heard that much bigger than that is available but I've never actually seen them for sale. I also know that front derailleurs are very finicky about following the curve of the big ring but I've never heard of any FD's actually made to work with chainrings bigger than 53T.

I've never been excited about the gear range of the Expressway but I've used it for years just as it is. But I've moved to a very hilly area and a major highway winds through it. There isn't any trip that I can make where I won't encounter a natural hill or a man-made highway overpass or both. A much lower low gear with no loss of the present top end which is already way too low is very much desired. Any strategies? TNX.
Likes For Leisesturm: