View Single Post
Old 07-08-20, 03:59 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Matadors
Just about to begin the "real" riding in the Sierra Nevada. Hole in the Ground trail is a KILLER! Haven't ridden it in a while and it would destroy me today. Gotta get on the bike more so these kinds of rides are back within the realm of possibility!!!

I know that trail! I suspect you had to stop, dismount and lift the rear around the switchbacks on the way up. Did you clear the steps on the way down? Not a simple trail for a tandem. Kudos![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I love technical riding. We can usually make some of the switchbacks. But it all depends on mood, fitness level, and daring on any given day! This fork is so much better than the old triple crown we had. Sharp turns are more doable than they used to be. I think we've ridden the steps every time on the way down. They have gotten progressively deeper and gnarlier over the years. Today I'm not sure I'd be up for them, but who knows!

Anyway, the thing about the gnarly stuff on a tandem (shhh, it's a secret) is if you keep the front wheel straight, you can get through so much crazy stuff. Sierra granite is surprisingly smooth on a tandem. That plus a 6" travel fork and we're practically unstoppable! Plus, once the front wheel's through the gnarl, who cares about the rear wheel?!! (Oh, my poor stoker!) Caveat: do NOT turn sharply! We were racing way back when on a familiar course. We approached a steep and deep stair-step drop section and I stupidly made a last-minute correction at the worst possible time - right as my wheel landed in a depression. (This front wheel also happened to be a gift from another shop guy and it was a terrible front tandem wheel - narrow rim.) The wheel quickly folded in two. And I KNEW not to do this. But oh well, I DID it! So I'm now running a much more appropriate front whee. But the moral of the story is, keep it straight and you can get through almost anything. So. Much. Fun!

It's past time for another assault on H-i-G trail on the tandem. Not sure when we'll get up to Donner next, but when we do I'll make an effort to bring the Crack-N-Fail for another attempt!

Thanks for letting me share!
Likes For LV2TNDM: